Monday, June 10, 2013

BLOG ENVY: The Happy Hausfrau

Image from The Happy Hausfrau

Today I am not envying a blog about worn leather, beautiful lace, or unmade beds in soft focus. Moving from the visual to the emotional, intellectual and funny, I envy  The Happy Hausfrau  where a divorced 40-something mom spills her guts with humor and ease. Jennifer Ball, blogging for three years now, manages to verbalize her present state of womanhood in a delightful and genuine way. She says she started the blog because, " I wanted other women going through a very particular kind of hell, the shitstorm of having your husband leave you, to know they weren't alone."

I discovered The Happy Hausfrau in The Huffington Post last week in an article titled The Divorced Mommy's Guide to Friends. As a not-yet-divorced woman still living with my eventual ex along with our two kids who totally get that we are not together, I often feel the urge to write about the present state of my non-traditional life. I have ideas swirling in my head but lack the discipline to get them out with any regularity. This is why I envy The Happy Hausfrau.

Here are a few excerpts from her blog:

On What To Do When Your Husband Leaves You
"If I had known right from the start that he had found a secretary who did way more than order donuts for meetings and answer phones, I could have saved myself a whole lot of humiliation. And I could have started filling out my eHarmony questionnaire earlier."

On finally finding the right bra:
I have found the perfect bra. It makes me want to wear deep v-necks and shake my moneymakers. Ok, so they haven't made me a dime but stranger things have happened. 

Then there is the story of the hand-me-down pasta bowl. I read it twice and cannot excerpt it. You just must read the whole thing. And have a tissue handy.

Great writing here and the comment threads make for excellent reading too. 
This blog is rated: NJFD (Not just for the divorced or eventual-divorced.)



No comments: