Saturday, October 1, 2011

Architectural Crush of the Week: Washington Rd @ Lakeland Dr. in WPB

 
As I 'm driving north of Southern Blvd. on Washington Rd. in West Palm Beach, the road bends and there's this salmon pink and white 70's style low-rise popping out from the blue skies. Certainly the color draws my attention, but I am starting to think that it's often the decorative concrete block that plies my heart! I drive up to West Palm Beach once of twice a week. Each time I pass this building, I get a slight rush.
It's a rather humble and ordinary example of Florida architecture. Save for the bright white balconies. stairwells, and festive color, the plan does not strive much beyond highway motel. But then again, when i first landed in Florida 9 years ago, I dreamed of becoming a motelier.
It's funny how the "the good brick" is used on the side that counts most for curb appeal. I am sure this upgrade also runs along the east side which faces the Intracoastal. Can you spy the water ahead?.

And I just XOXO this type of trim -- on walls, doors, ceilings...wherever!

No comments: